- I started Working at KPN
- We had a very severe winter, which resulted in public transport being down frequently, which is very! annoying
- Had a tea party with friends at Mellien’s place, it was very fun
I’ve got nothing for this month. For some reason I only took 3 pictures in the whole of February… And I didn’t blog that month either. Sadness. Here, have all three February pics to cheer you up from this huge, huge let down 😀
- Spring was on its way! Not that enthusiastically yet, but I saw the first real flowers peeking their heads above ground
- Finally found a good design starting point for my future tattoo
- Chocolate fondue with Eva & Ingrid, yum!
- Bought new plants for my back yard
- Found an awesome stick to turn into a staff. So far it’s still standing unused in my mudroom, but this year I strive to actually make something out of it 🙂
- Went balfolking for the first time (no, it’s probably not a proper verb, and yes, I’ll tell you what it is; it’s dancing old ball and folk dances on medieval-and-slightly-later type music)
- With Eva, Ingrid and Nienke to Lauwersoog, which was hilarious since we got stuck in the parking lot for two hours due to no traffic regulators being present
- This was also the month mom turned 60, Happy Birthday!
- Nienke and I added a garden door to our shared backyard to keep the neighbourhood kids from using our space as a shortcut path
- Went to see the Men’s Choir of Warffum (of which my uncle is a member) perform at the museum estate Verhildersum
- Spent Liberation Day in Parentville, where the whole street came together to decorate it for the festivities, great sense of community then, it should be like that more often
- Ingrid came by, time for scrabble in the sun. Eva & Mellien dropped by a little later, on horseback.
- Saw a hedgehog in the yard, awesome little critters
- Joined the LifeLines research project about long term health
- Dad’s birthday, 67 for him. Happy Birthday!
- With the summer in full swing, Nienke and I tried outdoor computing
- It was also the time for the yearly full family visit to my aunt and uncle in Harderwijk
- Went to visit Soestdijk Palace with Mom and a friend of hers, it was awesome! I’m very glad I got to see the place before they closed it down
- Celtic Midsummer Fest! Need I say more? An awesome weekend in which I went re-enacting for the first time. Great friends, great environment, great things to see and do, in short, a great time!
- Also, aforementioned festival will (for me) henceforth always be connected to ‘that time I banged my toes into oblivion on a tent peg’ 😀
- It got so warm I regularly spent my free time lounging outside with my feet in water. At first in two buckets (one for each foot) and later in a giant tub-like thing. Monkey approved of this, always enough water to drink nearby
- I bought my binder this month, which turned out to be a huge step on the road of self-discovery and gender identity
- Castlefest! Again, need I say more! Another awesome weekend! I’d not been able to go to Castlefest for some years, so it felt great to be back here. I love the atmosphere at this particular fest, plus being able to see Omnia live again for the first time in a couple of years as well was great, too.
- Nienke had a BBQ in honour of her birthday, it was tasty!
- Mom started knitting socks, after a conversation about how the warm socks we had were not getting any better.
- Went out for a sudden and unexpected pizza with Eva & Nienke
- Dad, on request, cut off the hedge in my front yard
- Monkey got weird spots on his back leg, he ended up with a salve treatment and antibiotics and return appointments at the vet three times in a row. Fortunately, they have cleared up completely
- And finally, this was the month I decided to continue blogging here, instead of trying to maintain both this blog and a LifeJournal
- I burned my arm a wee bit by splashing hot olive oil on it. Fortunately I washed it off right away, so it didn’t go much further than some light second degree burning one one spot and some intenser first degree burning on the others. The second degree spot left a scar, it’s pretty 🙂
- Had Tessa over to dog-sit, and got both her and Monkey in the same room without Tessa trying to eat Monkey, and without Monkey trying his best to hide as far away as possible
- Had my own birthday, turned 26. Happy Birthday me!
- Got the flu right after the birthday parties, ended up having to stay home for about a week, and had noticeably less energy the weeks after that while I was recovering further, not fun 🙁
- Became obsessed with Glee 😀
- Got my iPhone
- Mom started knitting gloves, nice and warm for the winter
- Went out to wok with Eva & Ingrid, yum!
- Attended Julius’ birthday, which was a sort of High Tea type thing with a whole bunch of cakes he and his mom made, it was awesome (and very, very tasty!)
- Bought two awesome pumpkins for Halloween and carved them; one a face, the other a sort of cheese with holes kinda idea with mice in the holes
- Was a bit down for a good part of this month, a combination of Daylight Savings Time ending, winter coming up and some other random shit. Took a while before I saw the colours of the world in full shine again, instead of dulled
- Mom knit me a pretty hat to match the gloves she made, my mom rocks 🙂
- Discovered the Instagram iPhone app (among many, many other apps; I <3 apps 😀 ) which is fun to play with
- Had a St. Nicholasmas (a combination of St. Nicholas and Christmas) party with Nienke, Eva, Mellien and Ingrid. It was fun and very nice to have a group get together again.
- CATACLYSM! W00t!
- The snow really hit. It looks awesome, but just like last year, it’s wreaking havoc on the public transport system. Which is kinda ridiculous as they spent the whole year winterproofing their systems and all, and they were sure it would be better this year… And then the first few days we have heavy snowfall, everything falls apart, again.
- December was good, even though in the beginning of the month I wasn’t sure about that (residual gloominess from November)
I’ve a cold, and as a result I’ve been having some issues with my voice the past week or so. And somehow it also transferred over to having problems with my writing voice, hence the lack of posts lately. For now, the Weekly Four.
I’m grateful for being on the e-mail team which lets me work even if my voice doesn’t work instead of having to call in sick because of not being able to talk (which kinda sucks in a call centre 😀 )
I’m happy in general. I’ve started to actually enjoy the world around again, instead of moping around because of dark and greyness. I love the fresh wind that smells of snow, I love the start of the holiday decorating in my house. I even made a wreath, of which I will post a pretty picture later this week, I only have an evening shot on the phone and that doesn’t do it justice. I also love cake, and friends, and music, and books. Especially books. I’ve been rereading Eddings’ Belgariad books. I read them first when I was about 12, and while I had read some fantasy and sci-fi before, this series was THE one that pulled me in and made me a fantasy fan for life. And an epic fantasy fan specifically. Back then I read it in Dutch, I’m reading the original now, and it’s even better than I remembered, I’m falling right back into the story, just as I did then, and the characters walk with me in my day and night dreams.
I’m sad that my voice isn’t back yet 😀 I downloaded a Glee karaoke type app on my iPhone, and as long as my voice is still off, I don’t wanna play with it. So I’ve had to wait, and I don’t wanna wait anymore.
I learned cats can be worse hogs of bed and blanket space than humans 😀
Slightly late 😀
I’m grateful that I discovered Glee, it has made me incessantly cheerful the past week and a half 😀
I’m happy I made the e-mail team at work.
I’m sad I’m almost up to speed with Glee, since that means waiting a week for new episodes instead of just clicking play on the next one I already have.
I learned that, as long as I stand and produce enough volume, I can make the high notes and sing my favourite Glee tune, Defying Gravity.
I’m thankful for water to cool my feet and head with.
I’m happy today was less warm than the rest of the week (although temp can go down a few notches more on my account).
I’m sad the weekend is over and I have to work tomorrow. It always feels off to have a one-day weekend (had to work Saturday).
I learned toes heal pretty fast. Today a week ago I tore open my toe on the tent peg and now it’s mostly closed again and I can walk on it without too much discomfort.
Wednesday was my Dad’s birthday. He turned 67. I got him a pretty birthday card and Wednesday morning Mom and I did a quick trip to the next town over to see about a present. Dad doesn’t have a lot of hobbies or something so finding him a present is usually tricky. It so often becomes the same thing over and over. Succeeded half this time. Mom bought him a shiny pair of pants, and I got him a very cute new coffee cup, together with some same-old-same-old puzzle books. He was pleased with the gifts though, and in the end that’s all that matters 🙂
My aunt who lives farther away was the first of the family to arrive. Mom and I picked her up from the train station after getting Dad’s presents. Rest of the family came in the afternoon and evening. It was a fun day. Nice weather so we could sit outside for a substantial portion of the afternoon. I took Tessa for a quick walk half way through, together with my 8 yo second cousin who wanted to come along. When we got back, the wind had picked up and everyone had moved inside.
Could tell it was a mid-week birthday though. We usually hold birthdays in the weekend, and then it’s often nearing midnight when the last ones leave, now we were with just the family again around eleven. Makes sense of course, there’s work and other such things the next day. Thursday was a work day for me too, but an easy one with just four hours from 15:15 to 19:15.
I’d just gotten there and settled in when I figured I ask if I could leave half an hour early so I could catch the 19:06 train and not have to wait until the 20:06 one. I got an e-mail back saying I could go right away if I wanted… And the weather was lovely and I wasn’t really in the mood to work anyway so I took it and left after having been working for all of 15 minutes 😀
So I was home fairly early, giving me time to sort various things on the laptop in its semi-regular maintenance/backup/update cycle.
Today another quiet work day, just 3 hours this time from 16:00 to 19:00, but followed immediately by the team outing. We’re going out to dinner so I’ll be home late after all. Tomorrow I’ll be spending most of my time working on pages for my uncle’s birthday. My cousin is making a book of sorts (he’s turning 75) and has asked all of us to create something with their memories of him. So mom wrote a big piece of text, and tomorrow we’re sorting some pictures to go with that and then I’ll be making scrapbook pages (I doubt I can fit it on one) of that to send of to my cousin. I’m thinking it will take me the whole afternoon at the very least, and probably a bit of the evening as well.
I’m hoping the weather will still be lovely on Sunday, I want to sit outside and read and do nothing then.
Now off to shower 😀